To earn reward points from online shopping, tasks, and some other parts of the RewardsCentral web site,
your computer must be set up to accept cookies. If your computer blocks cookies, you will not earn any reward
RewardsCentral can only give you reward points for shopping online or registering on a website if that
online shop or website pays RewardsCentral a commission. The online shop will only pay RewardsCentral a
commission if their system shows that you came directly from RewardsCentral before making your purchase.
Most of this tracking is done via cookies.
If your browser, computer, or network is blocking cookies,
then the tracking will not work, and you may not be eligible to earn reward points.
What are cookies?
In Internet jargon, a cookie is just a small piece of information, usually just a number or a single line of text, that is saved to a special storage space on your computer. A cookie generally only contains an ID number that is unique to you. That ID number corresponds to information in a database, and this kind of matching of IDs between cookies and databases enables many of the things that make the internet work. For example, you would not be able to sign in to RewardsCentral and view your reward points balance if it were not for cookies.
Cookies are a normal part of how the Internet works and they enable many of the technologies that allow web sites like RewardsCentral to function and remain free for use.
Make sure cookies are enabled in your browser
It's very important that cookies are enabled in your web browser. There are two types of cookies, first-party cookies and third-party cookies. For all features and rewards of RewardsCentral to work, you must ensure that your web browser is accepting both first-party and third-party cookies from RewardsCentral, affiliate networks, and the online shops you are visiting.
How to enable cookies in Firefox
- Select the Tools menu and choose Options.
- Choose the Privacy section.
- Under the Cookies subsection, Make sure Accept cookies from sites is checked.
- You can also clear your cookies by clicking on Show Cookies and then clicking on the Clear all cookies button.
- Click OK when you are finished to use the new settings.
How to enable cookies in Internet Explorer
- Select the Tools menu and choose Internet Options.
- Choose the Privacy tab.
- Drag the slider to Medium as shown.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Make sure Override automatic cookie handling is unchecked as shown.
- Click OK when you are finished to use the new settings.
Make sure your computer security software is not blocking cookies
Many members wisely choose to use internet security software such as Norton Internet Security, McAfee Internet Security, or Zone Alarm Pro. This software includes important anti-virus and firewall functions. However there are also features in this type of software that are designed to protect your privacy by blocking cookies and hiding your internet activities from the web sites you visit. Unfortunately, by blocking cookies, the software you are using may prevent you from earning reward points from RewardsCentral.
RewardsCentral is not suggesting that you turn off your security software. As stated above, anti-virus and firewall software is very important.
What we suggest you do is change your software's ad-blocking or privacy settings so that tracking cookies and links are allowed, thereby allowing RewardsCentral to give you reward points.
If your security software is not listed below, please check in your security software's options for any settings that mention "privacy", "ad blocking", "cookie blocking", or "ad tracking".
How to change Norton Internet Security settings
- Double click the Norton Internet Security icon on your taskbar; this will open the settings window.
- Choose Ad-Blocking (this is under status and settings or web browsing in newer versions) and select turn off from the right hand menu bar.
- More information on specific versions of Norton Internet Security can be found on the Symantec web site.
How to change McAfee Internet Security settings
- Right click the McAfee icon on your taskbar and select the privacy service. If prompted to select a User, select the user account that you want to change security settings for.
- Choose Edit to change the settings for the selected user. You may, depending on your version of McAfee, have a screen layout like this.
- Choose to Configure privacy service options.
- Select the Cookie blocker option and choose to Accept all cookies.
- Click Accept and OK.
- For more technical support on specific versions of McAfee Internet Security visit the McAfee web site.
Make sure there is nothing else on your computer or network that is blocking cookies
Besides your web browser and internet security software, there could be other parts of your computer or network that are blocking cookies and preventing you from earning reward points. Because there are so many different software packages, computer systems, network environments, and ISPs, we are unable to provide specific instructions for all possibilities.
Instead, you should check each of the items below to see if they could be blocking cookies or affiliate tracking links. In each case, you will need to check the settings and see if there is any mention of "privacy", "ad blocking", "cookie blocking", or "ad tracking".
Web browser plugins or extensions
Some browser extensions such as toolbars, pop-up blockers or ad-blockers may also block cookies.
Peer-to-peer file sharing security software
Some software designed to block peer-to-peer traffic from certain ranges of IP addresses may also block web browsing and tracking links that are needed for successful online shopping through RewardsCentral.
Hardware routers and firewalls
Some networking hardware such as home Internet routers have a function to block cookies and affiliate tracking links.
ISPs with privacy filters
Your Internet Service Provider may place a filter on your internet connection that blocks cookies. Speak to your ISP and ask them to remove this filter.
Accessing the internet through a work, school, or university network
Some companies and education institutions use privacy filters that block cookies. If this is the case, the only solution may be to use the RewardsCentral web site from a different location.